30 December 2019

Week 77: Christmas with LAs

Merry late Christmas, and early happy New Year, from the man celebrating it all the day before you do. This week was a bona fide good week. Last monday, I tried my hand at graphic design and crafted this masterpiece:


We took it to a print shop and got a bunch of these printed on nice paper, and most of our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day was spent handing out Christmas cards from the Elders to different members, including less-actives, recent converts, and some people that we're teaching. It was super cool to see the looks on peoples faces when they realized that the Elders stepped up their game, and spent five minutes in Google Drawings making a Christmas card.

On Christmas Eve we had district council, so a lot of missionaries from the surrounding areas were at the chapel. Our District all decided to spring for a McDonalds lunch, just to feel a little closer to home. I got a triple cheeseburger, which is pretty much exactly as good as it sounds, and just to complete the homesickness, we stopped by 7-11 to get slurpees on the way back from McDo. It was good, clean, American dining. It was interesting to see all the missionaries there who were all far away from home (to varying degrees) and celebrating Christmas with people most of them didn't even know 6 months ago. They were all happy, singing Christmas songs, and loving their Philippine Christmas.


The members sure helped quite a bit. They've been really good about helping us feel at home this Christmas. After we called home Christmas Morning, we went over to these members who are coming back to church and they made us a nice American breakfast for Christmas, which was much appreciated.


That is hashbrowns, eggs, spam, a hotdog and french toast. It was very good. Sitting across from me there is Westley. He's been a really good help. He's 11, and he's been letting me see his memes that he's got. He's a good boy and they're good memes.

I found Mrs. Nesbitt during our christmas travels:


and I also found this notebook that made me laugh quite a bit:


I didn't know Jose Rizal was into masonry, but I guess that's just some information I've got at my disposal now.

I don't really know where I was going with that one, but hey, it's Christmas.

A virgin conceived, and her son was the son of God.

6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Jesus Christ was born, and he will return. He suffered, died and he lives. He loves all of us with an everlasting love, and he is the Mediator, the Prince of Peace, the Good Shepherd, the Bridegroom, and all other titles he has been given. I'm grateful I have the opportunity to share these good tidings to the people around me, and to help them come closer to him.

Love,
Elder Menzie

Tagalog for a dime:
namamasko po! -- what little kids say when they carol to us and want money