23 December 2019

Week 76: Ngyaon ay Pasko

I'm going to start this email off with a picture of what my companion and I saw in a filipino department store last monday:



I'm not the craziest fan of Lilo and Stitch, but this looks like cruel and unusual punishment for a blue alien-dog. We got out of the store pretty soon after this picture was taken, and I don't have any plans to go back.

This week was a pretty fun week. We had CHr1stMaS C0nfErENcE! Half the mission got together on Tuesday and we heard messages from President and Sister Craig about the Savior. President Craig gave a description of the last day of Christ's life though the resurrection, which was really powerful. Sister Craig recited "the Living Christ" which was pretty darn cool.

After that there was a cultural dancing bit where some youth from the area did some cool filipino dances. My favorite was this one called tinikling, which is where these two guys bang bamboo on the ground and then together rhythmically, and then other people dance between the bamboo and hope they don't get their ankles smashed. It was really funny when President and Sister Criag got in and gave it a try. They sure gave it a good try, but I guess it's harder than it looks, because they were struggling. After that we watched "It's a Wonderful Life, and I think my companion was cutting onions or something. After that, they gathered us all together, gave us stockings, snapped a picture, and sent us on our merry way.


That's some of us who were on the bus back. Those blue ties that some of us are wearing are actually mission ties they put in the stocking. it's got a cute lil' mission logo embroidered on it and everything. All things considered, this Christmas Conference was better than last year, because last year, all the senior couples did a dance routine to Jingle Bell Rock, which I still have not been able to erase from my brain.

Sunday was cool because it was a special sacrament meeting centered on Jesus Christ (which you'd think they all should be, but I guess just moreso this time) where everyone was supposed to bring a friend. I don't think anyone actually brought a friend, but oh well. The actual cool bit happened a little bit later, when we found a little group of members standing outside the chapel. we thought they were waiting for an interview or something, but actually, they were getting ready to go caroling and give away a few packages with groceries in them to some people who were struggling. So naturally, we were like: "Can we come?" to which they were like: "Yes,"

So we went caroling.

We didn't get figgy pudding, or even ask for any, but going caroling was super darn fun. It was so good to see the looks on the faces of the people, some of whom knew nothing about the church, when we arrived and started singing. Also we got to ride in this:


...and that was fun.

I'm looking forward to Christmas #2 in the Philippines. President Craig made a really good point in Christmas Conference when he said that we (the missionaries) will never have another time in our lives to focus so much on the Saviour during this time of year. We don't have to worry about getting the best present for somebody, or about anything besides the work that we've been called to. I intend to try and make the most of that, during the last Christmas of my mission.

Love,
Elder Menzie

Seasonal Tagalog:
ngayon ay pasko -- Now is Christmas