I guess Thursday is a good place to start. We had meetings in Cauayan on Thursday, and the missionaries from Tuguegarao and Ilagan (the northernmost zones in the mission) weren't there. They said something about flooding, but it was sort of an in one ear out the other sort of thing, because I saw Elder Pino! He was my companion a while ago when I was in Gosi, which just so happens to be part of Tuguegarao. He's been one of my favorite companions, and Gosi has probably been my favorite area, so it was a super happy reunion.
It was really cool to meet up with him again, and eventually the Tugue missionaries got there, and they brought pictures of the flood.
To those who don't really know what they're looking at, that's the biggest city in my mission, and it's usually not that wet. The Buntun Bridge stands 121 feet (37 meters, for the one communist who reads these) in the air. The water made it impassable. In the middle of the meeting, President craig got the update that some of the Elders in Tugue might be trapped in their house, not able to evacuate because of the flood, and the amount of genuine concern he showed for their situation was really touching. They're safe now, but Tugue is still under water.
We got to a teaching appointment on Friday, and they had a TV on showing the news. I heard them say something about Gosi Norte, which is the Barangy I used to live in, so I started paying attention, and I just saw so much water. And then, I saw my old landlord, who just so happened to be the 2nd counselor in the bishopric, and a super nice guy who fed us a lot, on the news! That just made it surreal for me. I saw on the news houses that I had walked by for almost 6 months, halfway submerged in water. It didn't even sink in what I was seeing until I was able to call up Elder Adams, who was another one of my companions in Gosi. I talked to him a little bit, and it just hit me that all the people in Gosi Ward who had shown me such kindness were in such danger, and were experiencing so much destruction. People that I know, who I had the privilege of serving, who served me so well, were underwater, and those feelings are hard to describe well.
One of my favorite chapters in the Old Testemant is Isaiah 54. In this chapter, the Lord reminds Israel of his covenant with them. He reminds them that he has promised to gather them, and nothing will stop that.
9 For this is as the waters of Noah unto me: for as I have sworn that the waters of Noah should no more go over the earth; so have I sworn that I would not be wroth with thee, nor rebuke thee.
10 For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed; but my kindness shall not depart from thee, neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on thee.
It seems almost like dry humor on the Lord's part that this verse references Noah and the flood, and then compares his promise never to flood the earth to "the covenant of [his] peace". My testimony to all that read, even in the midst of all the trials that constantly seem to encompass you is the promise that the Lord made to Israel anciently: "my kindness shall not depart from thee," I believe that wholeheartedly, especially now, when it's really hard to. The Lord is mindful of us. He's mindful of me, he's mindful of you, and I feel in my heart that he is mindful of his humble disciples in Gosi, and no matter what, his tender mercies and kindness will continue to be showered upon us all.
Here are some happy pictures to make you happy:
| Me eating a fried cricket (this was actually super good) |
| the bus home from Cauayan |
| Baptism
Love,
Elder Menzie
Tagalog too deep:
baha -- flood
|
