05 January 2020

Week 78: Happy New Year Po

This week was a good one. It was new years this week, and like last year, we had to be in the apartment by 5pm  because the Philippines is too good at celebrating New Years for the Mission to be comfortable having us work, and I'm gonna be honest, I did not understand it at all last year. Nothing really happened, and we just chilled during the curfew.

This year though our apartment is in the city, and pretty darn close to the main highway, so there were a LOT of people shooting off pretty intense fireworks. It was good that we had somebody drive us home, mostly because it was a member named Brother Acosta and his car was really nice, and less because of the fireworks. We had an early dinner at their house before curfew (which was delicious) and so he just drove us home after, because he's a very nice man.


Aren't they cute? They even got us Cherry Dr Pepper because they're just the best.

Anywho, I mostly spent the curfew playing games and reading the Old Testament, not super eventful. We went to bed at the normal time, and I remember having the distinct thought that it was going to be pretty hard to fall asleep because of the fireworks, but sleep prevailed, until about midnight, when there was a cacophony of BIG fireworks that woke me right up. It was pretty darn cool, except for the bit that I was trying to get my beauty sleep.

This was the next morning:


That's a bunch of used fireworks just chillin in the street.

This week we had meetings in Cauayan again, and there were several people who came in the mission with me there, and I'm not really sure when I'm gonna see them again, So we snapped a picture for posterity's sake:



Aren't they good lookin? It feels like we were just in the MTC yesterday, trying to figure out how to say anything in Tagalog, and now look at us. We still don't really know what we're doing, but we're pretty darn close to going home, so there's that.

Remember the Acosta family from the first picture? That girl sitting across from me is named Dana, and she had a birthday this week and it was crazy.


That's right, Elder Menzie dusted off his black tie and slacks, threw on a short-sleeved shirt and a nametag, and was easily the worst dressed person at the whole party. It was a thrill, and the food was great.

New Years in the Philippines overall is 10/10, would recommend, and it would probably be even more enjoyable if I wasn't a missionary and could just light off fireworks with all the crazy filipinos. But being a missionary is good.

Love,
Elder Menzie

Tag-lish Because Why Not:
Happy New Year Po -- Happy New Year (with a respect particle comparable to the word "sir" or "ma'am" maybe)