I'm sure that you wouldn't be surprised to hear that all the hullabaloo about the coronavirus has made it to the Philippines, and I'm going to be honest, I was pretty darn confused when I heard that there was a virus caused by drinking cheap beer. I'm sure I'm the first one to make that funny joke, but you can trust that I'm not a joke thief because I am in the Philippines, and I don't think they even sell corona here, much less make funny current events jokes using it.
But we're feeling the coronavirus scare here, so for Zone Conference this week we rolled up in style:
That's right, ain't no coronavirus gettin to Elder Menzie! Not with that nifty little face mask. I even got a shoutout from the mission nurse for my excellent personal hygiene. That's for you mom! I even wash behind my ears now! I've got a little rubbing alcohol spritzer for my hands too! I After my brush with sickness last week, I'm not interested in getting sick again anytime soon.
Here's us being proactive in prevention with somebody we're teaching:
Don't we all look so healthy! No coronavirus in that lesson, I tell you what.
For those wondering, I'm still eating the food like normal, so maybe my puking didn't actually teach me anything. It's okay though, because the food is very good here. especially when members are the ones feeding you:
For those worried about my health in this picture, don't worry! I simply removed the mask to eat. rest assured I promptly replaced it when the meal was over.
In all seriousness though, I want to yell like Ammon did:
"Yea, blessed is the name of my God, who has been mindful of this people, who are a branch of the tree of Israel, and has been lost from its body in a strange land; yea, I say, blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land." (Alma 26:36)
Even when I get sick, and even when it's still really weird to be in the Philippines (which definitely qualifies as "a strange land") The Lord has been mindful of me, and that's what keeps me going, from day to day, even when I throw up sometimes.
Love,
Elder Menzie
